Friday, November 11, 2011

Its Friday, Friday!

I can't believe how fast this week blew by for me. I've been deeply concentrated on working with Photoshop and the past couple nights I've lost track of the time. I'd sit down shortly after dinner and start working and then I'd look at the clock and realize its midnight already. I've been focusing mostly on working with projects on the 99designs website because those are actual projects for companies and you can actually make money off of them. I have noticed that my skill is far inferior to the skills of a majority of the people in the contests, but I am learning from their work and from the design briefs for my future and that was all I intended. I think the work I have done so far will be great for my portfolio because, of the three projects I worked on, they were all on a very different spectrum of design.

The first project I worked on was a t-shirt design. This person wanted a unique t-shirt design for their company, so I submitted a few ideas using an image that they provided for anyone to use in the contest. I don't have much skill in women's t-shirt designing but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.







The next project was to work on a poster for a company that organizes parties to sell makeup. I noticed that  my skill was very inferior to the other competitors, but this was my first poster I have ever made using entirely Photoshop, so I learned quite a bit making this.

 

This final project was right down my alley. I had the opportunity to compete to create an application button for an online company and spent many hours creating different designs. I noticed I spent a lot more time on designing this than the others because this company interested me in the service that they provided. I need to learn to focus more time on designs that I may not necessarily have an interest in because any type of project could be given to me when I am actually in the field of work. Having a wide range of skill sets will set me apart from other designers that only have a specific skill set of design.

 


 


 











Spending this week on applying the skills I have learned was a great experience, but I realized I have so much more to learn to actually have the competitive edge against other designers. Most other designs were so much more intricate in the way they were created and I want to learn how they created their designs. This next week I'll go back to the drawing board and start viewing more tutorials rather than focusing my time on contests. I hope you like what I have done so far and please share any comments and/or tips you have for me. I'd be happy to hear from you. Talk to you all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment